Charles Birth Story


This post has been on my mind to write everyday since I had little Charlie but adjusting to life with an extra little person has been full on! Amazing though!

I still can’t believe its all over and he’s here… home….and normal life is back.It only feels like yesterday we were in the conservatory having cuddles with our little boy ready to go into hospital.


I was absolutely terrified I’m not going to lie….. I did some research on birth trauma and I definitely think I experienced it with Frankie. If anyone wants any information on birth trauma i found this website amazing:

So heres how it all went down!!

When my mum dropped us off at hospital waving goodbye to Frankie was so emotional, it was the weirdest feeling leaving my little baby to go and have another baby…… it didn’t help that he just waved out the window and said bye bye. Emotional wreck wasn’t even the word.

We walked through the doors and instantly my heart started to beat out of my chest and reality seriously set in…. soon i will be in A LOT of pain.

I have to say that Saint Marys hospital in Manchester is truly amazing. The care and warmth that all the staff give mums is second to none. Since having Frankie they have changed the rules and you have your own room when you are being induced, it had a telly and a really comfortable seat in for Tom AND he could stay with me. I was over the moon as last time he had to keep going home and understandably  I just wanted him there.

The nurse came in and put me on the heart beat monitor for twenty minutes to check Charlies heart beat was all good…… I was on it for 3 hours because he was having such a party in there he wouldn’t give a regular heart beat reading. You couldn’t blame the poor boy…my heart beat was probably going crazy!!

They finally gave me the first gel that you have to start helping the cervix dilate. The first one was fine and I did start having a few contractions about an hour later. I was trying to do everything possible to make everything move as quickly as possible, bouncing on the ball walking and drinking loads of water. After about twenty minutes on the ball I had to stop because it relieved all the pain from my back but made my legs feel like they were going to explode.

At about 11pm that  night they gave me the second gel, I hadn’t dilated but my cervix had moved down. yaaaaaayyy we were on the move. Tom and I were very relaxed and started watching a bit of telly ( i felt so posh having my own room with a telex and a bathroom!!) when a  nurse came in and told us that even when you get to 2 cm and your ready to have your waters broke the waiting list is up to 4 days!! I was nearly sick! how could they leave you there for 4 days having contractions when your ready. I really think telling people this is a bad idea because it stressed us out so much and we ended up going down within 24 hours so it was just all unnecessary.

Tom ended up going home to get a good night  sleep as I was feeling ok. The minute he left I started getting such bad contractions and ended up having a bath at 3am in the morning! First time for everything! The hot water did ease the pain but it made my contractions a lot more clearer. I was having them every 1 minute 40 and they were staying for 50 seconds each time. I got back into bed, the pain was so horrendous up until about 6am when I finally gave in and had the injection to take away the pain.  I was so annoyed, I really didn’t want it again……  with Frankie it made me feel so weird for ages after. That thought quickly disappeared as the pain almost instantly subsided and I managed to get some sleep till about 11am, no thanks to everyone coming in every two minutes asking me millions of questions.

I woke up to a lovely surprise, my little munchkin was standing at the bottom of my bed. He was in a crazy mood and nearly destroyed the whole room in 10 seconds flat so he didn’t stay long and was far too excited to give me any attention.

The nurse gave me a 3rd gel at 11 am on Wednesday morning and my god did it hurt, I had to have gas and air for that one! I am a woos at the best of times but the gels do make everything a lot more fragile. When she checked an hour later I was 2 cm dilated!! Woop Woop!!

So now they wait started,

It was such a beautiful day that day so we went walking loads, spend far too much money in the Marks and Spencer across the road, drank about two litters of water.

I hardly had that much pain all day. It was so frustrating that id given in and had the injection in the morning, I just felt id slowed everything down but apparently that isn’t true…….

At about 8 clock that night wed just put a film on the iPad ( Gone GIRL – don’t watch it, its terrible but the book is a must read) and the midwife came in and said I was next to go down! We were both so relived that we weren’t going to have to wait days! So I started to pack up my things and it started to dawn on me this is it, oh my god I’m about to go through the whole labour. I was terrified!

Early the next morning, 3.30am the midwife came in and said a bed was coming down for me now, we both sleepily got up and ready.

On the way to my room we went past the room that I’d had frank in and I started to feel a wave of emotions that I was actually about to meet Charlie…. I just had to get him out first! Hearing a women scream going into my room was no the best thing for my nerves.

So the bit I’d been dreading most of all was here……having my waters broke. The midwife we had was so lovely and had been working on the labour wards for over 20 years so I knew I was in good hands. Surprisingly my water broke within about a minute and it hardly hurt at all! This instantly relaxed me and put me in the calmest of moods. The drip went in my hand,  it was so painful so the midwife had to take it out and put it in the other arm. I am not the best with needles at all, I was so upset that the first one hadn’t worked I had a mini melt down and got a bit overwhelmed. Tom was amazing he just kept joking with the midwife and making me laugh.

At about 11am I was put on the drip and after about 2 hours of regular contractions I had an epidural. I wasn’t hopeful at all about it working, my experience with Frankies was horrendous and just didn’t work no matter how much they’d give me. But this time it started to work straight away and I could hardly feel any pain. Tom was starving so I sent him for food, to my horror he walked in eating a subway! If I could’ve actually felt my legs I think I would’ve got out the bed and punched him!! We all need up in fits of laughter…. when I look back on the time we spent in the labour room it really was so relaxed and filled with laughter. the epidural working meant that we all just chatted about nonsense, I know every detail about my midwives sandwich shop she runs with her family!

By 5pm I’d dilated to 8cm and the pain was coming back quite strongly. I was given more of the epidural drug but it didn’t work at all! I was having gas an air but nothing was working. for about 2 hours I was in agony! I think I nearly broke Toms hand in the process. There must be a niche in the market for a glove a partner can wear whilst your in labour, every guys hand after having a baby must be broke.

I was pretty out of it when the anaesthetist came in, I opened my eyes and shouted its you! So embarrassing I though it was the anaesthetist that I’d had with Frankie but it wasn’t…. he said it was the nicest greeting he’d had walking into a room. I begged him to give me more and said what they had been giving me was not working at all. He said don’t worry Grace were going to get you comfortable…… and he definitely did. He gave me a much bigger dose and within half an hour my pain was almost completely gone!

At about 8 o clock I was fully dilated and had the earge to push…. It was so Wierd not having much pain! I was one of those women I scream at on ‘One Born every Minute’ that just sit there not making a noise!

So I stared pushing. Because i couldn’t feel any pain I was a lot more with it and it was so frustrating! I felt like we weren’t getting anywhere and that he was never going to come out! But after twenty minutes Charlie  Joseph Mooney came into the world. I was so overcome with emotion when she handed him to me, I just couldn’t stop crying! the most amazing thing that we did was donate Charlie’s cord blood so that he could maybe save someone’s life with it one day. The only thing you have to do is have a blood test, fill in the form and instead of it being thrown away it goes to save someone’s life.

We had our tea and toast that you get after having a baby and it was THE most amazing tea and toast I have ever had. If id  eaten it on a normal day I probably would’ve thought it was horrible but after 18 hours of child birth it was like eating gold dust!

We went up to the ward and Tom went home to get some sleep. I just sat there for what felt like minutes staring at him and then realised it was 2 in the morning! So I went to sleep next to my beautiful little baby boy feeling the proudest person in the world.




Love Gracie x


2 thoughts on “Charles Birth Story

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s