How to start a blog | in 10 easy steps
1) The first thing you need to do when your thinking of starting a blog is ask yourself…….. Do you want to write about things that you love and do you want to share it with like minded people? If so then you should definitely start a blog today. First step is to ask yourself what do you want your blog to be about e.g Fashion, beauty, travelling the list goes on. I first started off as a Mummy blog but over the past two years I’ve branched out into more of a lifestyle all rounder blog but in the beginning I would suggest to pick one thing just to get you started.
2) Decide your Blog name: Second most important thing is to decide on a name, don’t rush this decision as once you choose it your pretty much stuck with it for the long hall. It would be silly for your blog to do well then a year down the line you don’t like your name and change everything completely and confuse everyone.
3) Pick your website to host your blog on. There are so many out there but personally I would 100% recommend WordPress. You can set up a free account to start with so you don’t put any money into something your not sure will take off. Over time there are lots of things you can change like upgrading your blog theme and all upgrading to wordpress.org with enables you to work more directly with the managing of your blog.
4) Pick a theme that suits you, this part is so important. If you choose a theme for your blog you love you will look forward to looking at it. You can easily upgrade to a more lavish one at a later date but there are plenty lovely ones for free.
5) Once you have all the technical stuff out of the way you can start thinking about your first blog post. The most important thing about blogging is just be yourself, if you try and be like somebody else your not going to love what you do so try and be original with your content. Also a big tip is read through your posts a few times before you actually publish it. I ade load of mistakes so many times because i was so excited to get it out there but when i look back i think oh nooooooo look at that mistake. Heres a link to my first blog post. Click here
6) Ok so you’ve got your blog and writing sorted now for one of the most important things i feel that changes a blog to an average one to a really good one….. PHOTOGRAPHY. personally if an image on a blog post is really bad quality I’m almost definable not going to return. Adding good eye catching images to your blog will defiantly get readers coming your way as thats what people look for in a blog is high quality images. If you don’t feel confident enough with a camera yet there are loads of websites that you can download free images from that you can then use on your blog. My favourite is Unsplash but there are loads to choose from. Here is a lovely image I found on Unsplash.
7) Social Media is KEY to having a successful blog. Make sure you create an Instagram and Facebook page for your blog so that you can add your friends and family onto it to get the word out. Once all set up start networking… make friends , enter competitions and just enjoy yourself. I first started my blog 2 years ago and I’m still no were near were I’d like to be but I really enjoy the community of people I have met. Especially through Instagram, I have so many Instagram friends now that whenever I need mum advice or blog inspiration they are always there to help.
Facebook is also amazing for getting your blog out there. Once you’ve created a page you can boost posts for a couple of pounds and it can sometimes reach up to 2,000 people if you tag it correctly.
8) Tagging is really really important for you blog to be found in other places. Every time you publish a post make sure you use every single tag that you could possibly connect to the post you have just written about. This will help people to find your posts on google. Obviously I’m not saying your going to pop up straight away on google but it will help a lot with getting people to find you.
9)Get a subscription box on your blog. This is a really great way for your readers to be able to get notifications straight to their inboxes when you’ve published a post. You put a lot of effort into a post so its really great to have those people that follow you find out about it straight away. If you want to subscribe to my mailing list just scroll to the bottom of this page 🙂
10) Display your social media icons and email buttons all over your blog. When people come across your blog you want them to be able to find you on your social media, so make sure its accessible everywere so they can’t miss it.
And there we have it my 10 steps to creating your blog, doesn’t sound that hard does it? If your thinking about starting one today I really hope this gives you the confidence to start one. If you have any questions please feel free to email me or comment below.
Love as ever